Changing Your Company Name

When the name of an incorporated company changes, a name amendment must be filed with the state of incorporation. If the company has registered to transact business in other states (foreign qualified) the name must also be changed with those states. The process required to officially change your company’s name with the state is the filing of a document called the Articles of Amendment.

As when you selected the original name for your company, the new name must be distinguishable on state records, meaning it cannot be substantially similar to a name already in use by another company incorporated or foreign qualified in that state. If the name is not unique, the state may reject the amendment.


The information included in your Articles of Incorporation/Organization or in your Certificate of Authority (if you’ve registered to transact business in other states) is the official information the state has on record for your company. When that information changes, it also needs to be updated with the state.

Submitting Articles of Amendment tells the state that the appropriate company representatives have consented to the change. For example, amending the name of a corporation might require consent by the incorporator or the corporation’s directors or shareholders.

Approval by the state certifies that your company met state legal requirements and that the name has officially been changed with the state.


California New Business Bureau does all the work. With the information you provide when ordering, California New Business Bureau prepares the Articles of Amendment and handles all interaction with the state.


Filing a name amendment changes your company name with the state. Filing a doing business as (DBA) allows you to keep your official company name but transact business under another name.


What We Offer

California New Business Bureau was founded in 2001 with one simple mission: to make starting a business as simple, fast and as inexpensive as possible. We offer the information, resources, and solutions that help small business owners understand the difference between incorporation vs. LLC, how to incorporate a small business as well as clearly outline the steps to incorporate and register a company.

Naming Your Company

Tax, Licenses, and Permits


Dissolution Filing Service

Name Amendment Filing

Registered Agent Service

Start Here